Welcome to Caltech!
We are delighted that you will be joining us this fall term, and look forward to meeting you and working with you over the course of your graduate degree program.
We understand that the global COVID-19 pandemic will impact your experience at Caltech, beginning with your arrival on campus. Campus operations for the fall term are under evaluation, and we will provide you with clear updates as soon as it is feasible to do so.
Our transition back to on-site campus learning and research will occur in stages, and in ways that are consistent with guidelines set by public health officials. The Coronavirus Information page provides regular updates on Caltech's ongoing response to the pandemic.
The Graduate Studies Office is ready to facilitate your transition to Caltech. COVID-19 aside, we understand that you will have many questions. When can I expect my email setup and access to the Caltech portal? What forms and other requirements are due and what are the deadlines for submission? What should I expect upon arrival? What documentation do I need to bring with me? When will I hear about housing selections? This website will answer many of your questions as you prepare to enroll at Caltech. Please check back regularly as we will be updating information over the course of the summer.
Feel free to contact us with questions about any information on this website. Important dates follow, with the understanding that COVID-19 planning may require changes and adjustments:
September 1: Graduate students can officially arrive on campus.
September 17-19: International Student Orientation. International students should participate in both the International Student Orientation and the New Student Orientation.
September 21-23: New Student Orientation – Health and Safety, Option-specific sessions, Teaching Conference, etc. Pending updates about the opening of campus for fall term, students should plan to participate in the entire orientation.
September 28: Yom Kippur holiday, no classes.
September 29: Classes begin.
October 26: First paycheck for those students on assistantships or a fellowship.
The Registrar's Office maintains a full online academic calendar and schedule.
Graduate Orientation for fall 2020 will take place from Monday, September 21 to Wednesday, September 23. All new students are expected to participate in orientation starting on Monday, September 21. International students are also required to participate in International Student Orientation and information for this may be found on the ISP website. Anyone unable to participate will need to make special arrangements to makeup the required sessions on policies, TA training, and other essential elements of orientation. The first day of instruction is September 29, 2020.
New Graduate Student Start-Up (NGSS) Loan
Caltech Email Account Setup
Responsible Conduct of Research
- Student Health
- Housing (due May 3)
- Student Patent and Computer Software Agreement (PDF fillable form available soon)
- Preregistration(PDF fillable form available soon)
- Multimedia Release (PDF fillable form available soon)
- W-4 (US Citizens and Permanent Residents only)
- Direct Deposit
- I-9 Employment Eligibility Verification - Caltech collects information for Form I-9 electronically and instructions will be emailed later in the summer. The documentation required for Section 2 must be reviewed for authenticity and while electronic verification is currently permissible while the campus has limited access, students will be required to present documentation within three days of in-person arrival on campus. Examples of acceptable documents can be found on page 8 here.
- Registrar's Office
- Graduate Student Council
- Caltech Women's Club
- International Student Programs
- Caltech Center for Diversity
- Accessibility Services for Students
- Title IX at Caltech
- Center for Teaching, Learning & Outreach
- Student Wellness Center
- Academic Options Contact List
- New Student Information Handbook
- The Caltech Community's Statement on Ethical Conduct