Breakout Rooms are an opportunity to learn more about a specific topic from advanced Graduate Students, as well as to engage socially with your peers. We strongly encourage you to attend at least one breakout group. In addition to meeting on Tuesday, September 22nd, your breakout group will find two additional opportunities to meet during the first few weeks of the term. These meetings are opportunities to check-in with fellow students and ask upperclassmen questions that come up in your first few weeks at Caltech. You should have received a survey to fill out the breakout sessions you are interested in attending from your Orientation Leader. If you haven't received the survey, reach out to Allie McIntosh at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Explore the breakout room topics and offerings below!
- Caltech Culture - Learn the inside scoop about the Caltech graduate program culture from upperclassmen. Come with questions.
- Resources @ Caltech - Learn about the many support resources available to all Caltech students. Resources discussed include the Center for Inclusion and Diversity, the Hixon Writing Center, the Caltech Y, Student Wellness, the Graduate Deans and more.
- Living in LA - Learn about your new home. Hear from current residents about LA traffic, food, activities, cost of living and more.
- Working from Home - Hear from current Graduate Students about their experiences with a virtual spring term and how you can prepare to start your graduate studies journey remotely.
- Student/Advisor Relationships - Gain insight and advice on navigating relationships with your advisor.
- Mental Health - Take time to think about how you will support your own mental and emotional health needs during a taxing graduate program.