A Visiting Student Request form and appropriate documentation are required for all categories of visiting graduate students. Caltech faculty or their administrative staff must request appointments by completing the Visiting Student Request form and supplying all documentation. Only complete applications will be accepted. International student visitors will be contacted by International Student Programs (ISP) after the official invitation from the Dean has been issued; do not reach out to ISP in advance. All extension requests must requested by submitting an updated Visiting Student Request form. International visitors requesting an extension must do so a minimum of two weeks in advance of the visit expiration in order to remain in compliance. To apply, please follow these steps:
- Host academic option/division must complete the Visiting Student Request form
- Host academic option/division must provide proof of support from a Caltech faculty member, including:
- Nature of work to be performed
- Financial arrangements (if any)
- Length of stay (including start and end dates)
- Verification of English proficiency
- Student must provide the following supporting documents to the host coordinator:
- Proof of vaccination status prior to the proposed visit start date. As of October 15, 2021, all members of the Caltech community will be required to document full vaccination and booster status. Visiting students who cannot provide appropriate documentation of vaccination status prior to the visit start date will have their invitation revoked.
- Proof of health insurance for the duration of the visit. Insurance should be comparable to current Caltech graduate students' health insurance coverage: https://benefits.caltech.edu/health/students/medical
- Proof of enrollment in the form of transcripts and/or a certification letter from the student's home institution
- Evidence of financial support if no funding is being received from Caltech, or if funding is less than the minimum amount required for living expenses per month. The minimum rate for academic year 2022-23 is $3,336/month*.
- Submit the completed Visiting Student Request form and all required supporting documentation at least one month prior to the visit start date. Additional time may be required for international students who need to apply for a visa. Please note that incomplete application packages will not be processed.
- The Graduate Studies Office will review and send an official invitation letter from the Dean when the request form and all supporting documents are in order.
- After the official invitation has been generated, visiting students will be asked by the Registrar's Office to complete two additional forms:
- If campus housing is being requested, the student may now contact the Housing Office. A University Identification Number (UID) will be issued by the Registrar's Office only after completion of Step 2 above. The UID is required in order to apply for housing. Due to limited housing options, campus housing cannot be guaranteed for non-degree visitors. All visitors are strongly encouraged to secure external housing.
*This is the minimum amount deemed reasonable for living expenses (meals and lodging) and does not reflect tuition, fees, or other educational expenses. Depending upon an individual's circumstances, additional income for living expenses may be needed.