Information for Incoming Students
Orientation for Fall 2018 will be September 23-26. Instruction begins October 1. All incoming students must attend orientation. Information on International Student Orientation may be found on the ISP website. Anyone unable to attend will need to make special arrangements to attend mandatory sessions on policies, TA training, and other essential elements of orientation.
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Students with External Fellowships
- Student Health Insurance
- During the summer, you will receive information to help you understand the Caltech insurance plans so that you can make your choice. If you have questions or need assistance, please visit the Benefits website.
- The enrollment/waiver period usually runs from mid-July to late August, but be sure to check the website for specific dates.
- Coverage begins on September 1, 2018
- Student Dental Insurance
- The Honor Code
- New Graduate Student Start-Up (NGSS) Loan
- Incoming students who have submitted the loan request form in the link above, please click here to complete your loan processing. Follow the instructions provided on the website to confirm your receipt and understanding of these documents. If you have any questions, please contact the Bursar's Office.
- Caltech Email Account Setup - Information will be sent by the Registrar's Office during the summer.
- Responsible Conduct of Research Certification - all new students are required to complete the online CITI course in Responsible Conduct of Research prior to matriculation. In the summer, once you have received your Caltech Universal Identification (UID) number, you will be asked to log onto the CITI training site via access.caltech and complete the short training course no later than October 1. A record of certification will be sent to Caltech and will only need to be completed once while enrolled as a graduate student.
- Transcripts - If you have not already done so, please arrange for your previous institution(s) to send one copy of your final transcript to: Office of the Registrar, Mail Code 125-87, Caltech, Pasadena, CA 91125 or email to email@example.com.
- Student Health Forms
- Housing Application
- Student Patent and Computer Software Agreement
- W-4 (US Citizens and Permanent Residents only)
- Direct Deposit
- I-9 Employment Eligibility Verification -
Caltech collects information for Form I-9 electronically. If you are currently residing in the United States, Section 1 of Form I-9 should be completed prior to September 24, 2018. Your account for the I-9 system will be created by Human Resources, and instructions and your password will be sent in a separate email. Please note that both the login and password are case sensitive.
If you are not currently residing in the United States, you will be able to complete Section 1 of Form I-9 when you check in on Monday, September 24. Computers will be available, but you may also consider bringing a laptop with you when you check in. The documentation required for Section 2 must be reviewed for authenticity during check-in. Examples of acceptable documents can be found on page 8 here.
- Registrar's Office
- Graduate Student Council
- Caltech Women's Club
- International Student Programs
- Caltech Center for Diversity
- Accessibility Services for Students
- Title IX at Caltech
- Center for Teaching, Learning & Outreach
- Health Center
- Parking Office
- Academic Options Contact List
- Teaching Assistant Handbook
- New Student Information Handbook
- The Caltech Community's Statement on Ethical Conduct